What should I do if I am a victim of sexual harassment?

| Aug 23, 2019 | Uncategorized |

Sexual harassment is a very serious problem both here in Michigan and across the United States. Many people are taking to social media and the street and speaking up about this societal menace; if you are a victim of sexual harassment it is only natural that you should get the recognition and recompense you deserve. According to the state of Michigan, sexual harassment is a form of discrimination.

Sexual harassment complaints in the state of Michigan are generally handled under the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, and you would make a complaint to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights regarding the harassment to take action against it.

There are many varied examples of sexual harassment. Probably the most familiar one is a supervisor demoting or firing somebody on the basis of refusing sexual advances. Other forms of sexual harassment may include being told that you must accept sexual advances or comments as part of the job, or if the work environment promotes or accepts inappropriate touching or sexual remarks or advances. Sexual harassment may also extend beyond the employment sphere into public services, education, and housing situations.

In the employment setting, it is important that a victim of sexual harassment make it clear that the harassment is unwelcome. In many cases, this means reporting the sexual harassment to supervisors (assuming that the supervisor is not the one doing the harassing) or the human resource department.

In the event that the harassment continues despite the reporting or if you are uncomfortable reporting the harassment in your workplace, it is important to contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights so that the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act may be invoked in your case. At this point, the MDCR will launch an investigation into your situation.